Reverse Foot Tool 1.0
ReverseFootSetup tool helps artists working in Autodesk Maya create
a reverse foot setup very fast with the ability to have a mirrored behaviour on the opposite foot.
Simple tool that is games setup and performance friendly since it doesn't alter your character skeleton and all its connections are done with Maya Utility nodes(No expressions/No Set Driven Key Animations) which not only improve performance but also adds more reliability. its ability to create a mirrored setup very fast is incredibly useful for mirroring animations.
The tool options for creating the rig makes it very flexible to what kind of rig you would like to have for your foot setup.
The tool supports all Maya versions starting from 2014 up to the latest version (2018 at the time of this writing).
Only Compiled code is distributed with the tool.
The Reverse Foot Tool creates a reverse foot setup with the following options:
- Foot Auto Roll
- Ball Pivot Raise
- Ball Pivot Swing
- Foot Roll
- Foot Bank
- Heel Swing
- Toe Tip Swing
- Toe Bend
- Toe Swing
- Toe Twist
How To Install
Place the reverseFootSetup.pyc file in your scripts folder. Run this line in a python tab in the script editor:
Maya Y up world coordinate scenes.
The character need to be standing Up (Y-axis) and facing forward (Z-axis).
How To Use
Setting the Prefix and the Side
- First choose the side of the foot you are working on. You can also give a prefix for your reverse foot setup.
Filling the Required Fields
- Fill in the required fields in the tool which are the Leg IK Handle and the Toe Joint. You can use the get button to add the selection into the field or copy and paste the name. Then you are ready to Create Locators which creates the reverse foot setup locators.
Positioning the Reverse Foot Setup Locators
You need to place the locators manually to match the foot pivot points.
- The toe tip locator is placed on the tip of the character's foot.
- The heel locator should be placed at the heel the character.
- The bank inside locator should be placed on the inside curve of the foot.
- The bank outside locator should be placed on outside curve of the foot(Opposite to the bank Inside locator)
Generating the Setup Options:
- Now you are ready to Generate the setup. However, this is the time if you have a foot or a toe controller in the scene to add them to the tool.
If you don't add a foot controller, the tool will create one for you. If you don't have a toe controller, the tool will add the controlling toe attributes to the foot controller.
Separate Toe Controller
If you want to use a separate Toe controller for your foot setup, you will need to create the controller and its connections on your own. It is very important to make sure that the Toe controller you have in the scene is only controlling the rotation of the toe joint as we are using the translation for the reverse foot setup. Also don't forget to parent it under your foot controller.
Mirroring Setup Locators
Mirroring doesn't necessarily mean mirroring the rig as its is to the other side. It means mirroring the Reverse Foot Setup Locators to the other side.
Mirroring requires the same steps for creating a new setup except for filling the prefix and choosing the side. The prefix is determined by the setup you would like to mirror and the side will always be set to the opposite side of the target setup.
You can choose the setup you would like to mirror from the Mirror From combo box which has a list of all Reverse Foot Setups created by the tool. After choosing a setup, press the Mirror button and skip the Create Locators button. Always double check the position of the mirrored locators and adjust them if you have unsymmetrical character. Then you can Generate the Setup .
You may use the tool commercially. However you may not redistribute, rename or claim rights for the tool.
Feedback, questions and bug reporting are always welcome. However do not expect the author to provide any extra features not shown or documented in the tool.
copyright: 2017 © purplepuppet AB. All Rights Reserved